Aufgrund seiner Rolle bei der Kapitulation des deutschen Heeres in Cherbourg am 26.7.1944 nach den Kämpfen am D-DAY war General von Schlieben in der Familie jahrzehnte lang eine stark umstrittene Persönlichkeit.

Die Wikipedia berichtet vorurteilslos folgendes über sein Leben:
Schlieben, Sohn des 1914 als Kommandeur des 83. Reserve-Infanterie-Regiments gefallenen Majors Wilhelm von Schlieben, trat als Kriegsfreiwilliger nach Ausbruch des Ersten Weltkriegs in die Preußische Armee ein. Als Fahnenjunker kam er am 11. August 1914 in das 3. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß. Am 9. Januar 1915 erhielt er die Beförderung zum Fähnrich sowie am 3. März zum Leutnant und wurde im Herbst Kompaniechef in seinem Regiment. Es folgte die Ernennung zum Adjutanten und Ordonnanzoffizier. Schlieben, der 1914 und 1916 Kriegsverletzungen erlitt, wurde am 27. Januar 1917 Adjutant eines Bataillons des 3. Garde-Regiments zu Fuß. Im Frühjahr 1918 wurde er zum Ordonnanzoffizier beim Generalkommando 60 ernannt.

Nach Ende des Krieges erfolgte am 1. Januar 1919 seine Versetzung zum Reservebataillon und am 1. Oktober 1919 zum Reichswehrregiment 29. Am 1. Oktober 1921 wurde er zum Adjutanten des 2. Bataillons des 9. (Preußisches) Infanterie-Regiment ernannt. Drei Jahre später wurde Schlieben in das 7. (Preußisches) Reiter-Regiment nach Breslau versetzt.[1] Dort erhielt er seine Beförderung zum Oberleutnant am 1. April 1925. Am 1. April 1929 übernahm Schlieben die 3. Eskadron des 12. (Sächsisches) Reiter-Regiments in Grimma und wurde hier am 1. Oktober 1929 zum Rittmeister befördert.

Bis zum Ausbruch des Zweiten Weltkrieges war er als Adjutant Mitglied des Stabes diverser Regimenter. Schlieben wurde am 1. August 1938 zum Oberstleutnant befördert.

Mit Beginn des Zweiten Weltkriegs war von Schlieben zunächst Adjutant des stellvertretenden Befehlshabers des XIII. Armeekorps. Am 15. August 1940 ernannte man ihn zum Kommandeur des Schützenregiments 108 und beförderte ihn am 1. August 1941 zum Oberst. Dann übernahm er am 20. Juli 1942 die 4. Schützen-Brigade und wurde im Anschluss daran am 1. Februar 1943 zum Führer der 208. Infanterie-Division ernannt. Wegen seines Einsatzes mit dieser Division an der Ostfront wurde von Schlieben am 17. März 1943 mit dem Ritterkreuz ausgezeichnet. Am 1. April 1943 gab er das Kommando wieder ab, übernahm die 18. Panzer-Division und wurde am 1. Mai 1943 Generalmajor. Seit 12. Dezember 1943 kommandierte Schlieben die 709. Infanterie-Division. Der am 1. Mai 1944 zum Generalleutnant beförderte Schlieben wurde nach der alliierten Landung in der Normandie am 23. Juni 1944 zum Kommandanten der Festung Cherbourg ernannt. Er entschloss sich drei Tage später in seinem Gefechtsstand in Octeville, am Abend des 26. Juni 1944, zur Kapitulation und ergab sich zusammen mit Konteradmiral Walter Hennecke, dem Kommandanten der Seeverteidigung Normandie, gegenüber der 9. US-Infanteriedivision unter Generalmajor Manton S. Eddy mit über 800 anderen Soldaten in seinem unterirdischen Befehlsbunker in St. Sauveur. Es folgte eine zweite, offizielle, Kapitulation im Schloss von Servigny, dem Hauptquartier von General J. Lawton Collins. chlieben kam zunächst in US-amerikanische Kriegsgefangenschaft und wurde am 1. Juli 1944 in das britische Generalslager Trent Park Camp überstellt. Hier verblieb er bis zum 9. August 1945 und wurde dann ins Lager Island Farm gebracht. Am 7. Oktober 1947 wurde er repatriiert. Karl-Wilhelm von Schlieben starb am 18. Juni 1964 in Gießen.


Generalleutnant Karl-Wilhelm von Schlieben

Sommer 1944 - Landung der Alliierten Truppen in der Normandie

John Darrell Sherwood
Utah Beach to Cherbourg

Until 23 June General von Schlieben had commanded only the remnants of the four divisions immediately confronting the advancing American forces. On that day he was appointed commander of the entire Cherbourg Fortress,general von schlieben relieving Generalmajor Robert Sattler, who became his subordinate. The new commander of all the German forces remaining in the Cotentin Peninsula found himself in desperate straits. His desperation is reflected in the fight-to-the-death orders which he issued to his troops and his urgent request for air support and reinforcements by air or sea. The 15th Parachute Regiment was alerted to move from St. Malo to Cherbourg in answer to these requests, but no transport was available when the time for transfer came. Von Schlieben had to make the best of his miscellaneous personnel, his battered units, and his dwindling supply of ammunition. The most dramatic incident of the day occurred in the 39th Infantry zone. Both the 2d and 3d Battalions moved down the ridge in the morning. Their objectives were Octeville and the Cherbourg area lying between the 47th Infantry and the Divette. A captured German reported that General von Schlieben, the commander of the Cherbourg Fortress, was in an underground shelter in St. Sauveur, just beyond Octeville.

For several hours the two battalions were slowed by Nebelwerfer re and direct fire from antiaircraft and 88-mm. guns in the Octeville area, but by mid-afternoon Company E and Company F had reached von Schlieben's shelter. After covering the tunnel entrances with machine-gun fire, a prisoner was sent down to ask for the fort's surrender. When surrender was refused, tank destroyers began to fire directly into two of the tunnel's three entrances and preparations were begun to demolish the stronghold with TNT. After a few rounds the enemy began to pour out. Among the 800 who surrendered were General von Schlieben, Admiral Walter Hennecke, of the Port of Cherbourg, and their staffs. The surrender was made to General Eddy, who demanded that von Schlieben surrender the whole
Cherbourg garrison. The fortress commander refused, however, adding that communications were so bad that he could not ask the others to surrender even if he wanted to. When General Collins offered to provide the means of communication von Schlieben still declined.

The campaign thus ended had cost heavily, despite an unexpectedly easy beginning in the weakly opposed landing on Utah Beach, and it had fallen behind the schedule set in the NEPTUNE Plan. In the fight for its objective VII Corps suffered a total of over 22,000 casualties, including 2,800 killed, 5,700 missing, and 13,500 wounded. [7] The Germans had lost 39,000 captured in addition to an undetermined number of killed and wounded. Cherbourg was captured on D plus 21, and the last enemy were cleared from the peninsula on D plus 2s. The estimated date of capture mentioned in earlier planning had been D plus 8, and this had been changed to D plus 15 only a few days before the invasion as the result of late intelligence and the resultant alteration in the VII Corps plan. Both dates were admittedly optimistic, however, and represented primarily a date of reference for logistical planners in the phasing of material to the port, rather than a schedule for tactical commanders.

From the German point of view, however, the fall of Cherbourg came much sooner than expected and represented a major defeat which foreshadowed the evacuation of France and the loss of the war. Throughout German tactical thinking, both in anticipation of invasion and after the blow struck, the denial to the Allies of the French ports assumed a major place. Hitler and the army believed that the principal Allied asset was overwhelming materiel superiority and that it could be thrown decisively into the conflict only through the possession of a large port. Even after the Cotentin Peninsula was cut, preventing the reinforcement of the Cherbourg Fortress, the German command still anticipated that the port could hold out for at least several weeks, as Brest was to do later. Cherbourg's quick capitulation was taken hard by Hitler, and thereafter in Nazi circles General von Schlieben was held up as the very model of a poor commander.
The conquest of the Cotentin Peninsula did not immediately break German defenses in the west or irrevocably insure a quick Allied victory. A month of hard fighting in the same type of difficult Normandy terrain lay ahead. Until the end of July the enemy continued to contest bitterly nearly every Norman field; he launched strong counterattacks in the hope of containing Allied forces in their narrow beachhead. Nevertheless, the end of June saw the disappearance of the last slim chance the enemy may have had to dislodge the Allied foothold on France, and he was faced with what would become a hopeless battle of attrition in which Allied armies were to build up an irresistible superiority of men and materiel and strike out of Normandy for their sweep through France.